Jul 15, 2009

Quick Fix to Overflowing Sump Syndrome

The first thing my boss, Kevin, who should have been a physicist (or an ichthyologist), said to me this morning was a tip on how to quickly and easily fix my overflowing sump syndrome. Drill a hole into the outlet pipe at a 45 degree angle. This will break siphon if the return pump should fail. Why is it drilled at a 45 degree angle? That way water will shoot downward out of the new hole, rather than in your face while you're doing a water change.

In the photo above, I demonstrate how even a simpleton can easily drill a hole at a 45 degree angle into a ridiculously long outlet pipe.

I need to give my aquariums a major makeover. I am sick of looking at ugly aquariums. Sure, the animals inside are beautiful, but I am ready for a change. No more DIY-without-a-book ugliness crowding my kitchen. Since it's so obvious that I need help, if you, reader, have any suggestions, I am eager to learn.

What I'd like to do is get the 37 gallon seahorse "sump" off the kitchen floor, move them to the main tank, and get a real sump for under the stand along with all my tank's equipment. I originally intended to use the 37 as an under tank sump, but was surprised when it didn't fit. That's why it's on the floor. And yes, that is a Styrofoam box holding up my skimmer.

I'd also like to move all my corals into the nano bullet tank at the right of the photo. There will be no fish, no sand, nothing to contribute to hair algae. The only critter that will require feeding is my little commensal coral hermit crab. Then I will move my freshwater plants and fish (Limias, guppies, and platies) into the 37 gallon tank. I'll be removing my kitchen table from the kitchen and replacing it with the 37 gallon freshwater tank. I plan to start this project this weekend, but there is a fossil show in Minocqua that could distract me. Look for photos of a frustrated me tearing down tanks in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment